The joy luck club by amy tan | Teen Ink

The joy luck club by amy tan

March 11, 2011
By RishaFlowers BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
RishaFlowers BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"sometimes i suspect im a loser,other times is suspect im god almighty."- John Lennon


Four mothers, four daughters, whose history shifts with the four winds of change. The joy luck club by Amy tan is the story of four Chinese immigrant women united by unspeakable loss and hope. Rather than sink into tragedy, they gather to raise hope happiness and love in each other. With the creation of the joy luck club, they gamble, play and wish back luck which was never there. Though the setting is hard to pin point, it centers on several time frames in San Francisco California.
With as story almost as enticing as folk tale, Amy tan is astute storyteller that with extreme sensitivity tan exemplifies the often tender sometimes painful, always deep connection between mothers and daughters.
With each mother comes the tale of there pride and joy whom the would move heaven and earth to keep the destructivity to which left there lives in ruins away form them. .As each woman reveals her secret more, and more about her life unravels in this contemporary realistic novel. Each mother boast or despair over there daughters takes a toll to which the daughters simply must roll there eyes, for soon they feel the tighting of there inextricable matriarchal ties. Tan entices the reader to immerse themselves in the lives of the mothers and daughters to experience the complexity and mystery involved in everyday life.


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.