Wuthering Heights | Teen Ink

Wuthering Heights

By Karennn BRONZE, Phoenix Az. 85021, Arizona
Karennn BRONZE, Phoenix Az. 85021, Arizona

Never give up , you never knoe what the universe has in store for you next . - annonymous

Emily Bronte’s in her novel Wuthering Heights, explores how love can be unforgettable. Heathcliff is an orphan found by Mr. Earnshaw in one of his many visits to Liverpool. He takes him to his home in Wuthering Heights, there he is raised as one of his own. Resentment soon overpowers his real son Hidley who can not compete with the love his father has for Heathcliff . His sister, Catherine, on the other hand makes an unbreakable bond with Heathcliff.

Mr. Earnshaw soon dies and Wuthering Heights is inherited by Hidley , who treats Heathcliff worse than a servant. Catherine and Heathcliff fall uncontrollably in love with each other , but Catherine’s desire for wealth drives her to marry Edgar Linton , a cowardly man, who is rich. Heathcliff runs away and comes back three years later with an unexplainable fortune. He soon takes over Catherine, Isabella Linton (Edgar’s sister) and Thrushcross Grange by marrying Isabella Linton.

Heathcliff makes Isabella’s life miserable, because he does not care for her. Soon she runs away to London, where she has a baby boy named Linton, after the families name. Catherine dies giving birth to a beautiful baby girl named Catherine, she is known as young Catherine through out the story. Heathcliff begs Catherine’s soul to stay with him, it does not matter if she is haunting him, he just does not want to be alone.

Young Catherine falls in love with Linton, but soon realizes that he s only coming after her because Heathcliff is making him. Heathcliff thinks that if he gets them to marry each other he would finally have revenge on Edgar, therefore inheriting Thrushcross Grange. Linton dies, and young Catherine falls in love with Hareton, Heathcliff dies and both Wuthering Heights and Thrushcross Grange are under the power of young Catharine and Hareton.

Bronte’s makes an exiting yet sad novel about how love is not always sweet and forgettable. A quote that matches the story is “I cannot love thee; thou’rt worse than thy brother. Go, say thy prayers, child, and ask Gods pardon. I doubt thy mother and I must rue that we ever reared thee!” it was published on 1847.