A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare | Teen Ink

A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare

By ClayMaker52 BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
ClayMaker52 BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

Losers visualize the penalties of failure, but winners visualize the rewards of success.

-Rod Gilbert

William Shakespeare’s comedy, , is a story of two lovers, Hermia and Lysander, who are on the run from Hermia’s father, Egeus, who wants Hermia to be married to another man, Demetrius. The two characters face events that test the bonds of their love, including; falling out of love, falling in love with another and mischievous fairies. Hermia and Lysander struggle to keep away from Demetrius and Helena, while getting to know each others hearts and intentions better. While chasing the two, Helena and Demetrius discover something of their own.

In the story, I found that I could relate to the emotions and actions of Lysander, Hermia’s love. Relating to him was easy because I have been in similar situations in relationships where at times I felt neglected just as he did at times during the piece. His actions of wanting revenge on Demetrius also reminded me of myself.

My outlook upon the book is that it is a gripping love story, with very well developed characters and a plot that is near exceptional. My personal favorite part of the book was when Lysander and Demetrius are about to fight, then they decide to go to sleep instead. Although the plot was good, I would have changed the ending, so that Egeus would have died, but that would cause the play to be considered a tragedy instead of a comedy.

I, myself, would gladly recommend this book to all readers. Anyone who is into reading Shakespeare or other love stories, would love this book for it’s witty tone and mood which was alluded to in this quote by Puck, a fairy, “Lord, what fools these mortals be!” Throughout the entire tale, the mortals, the humans, are constantly messing up, at times being foolish, and consistently not following the fairies “plan”. The mood in this story is depicted to me as, “life is confusing, but love remains the same”, which is a vital lesson to learn in life. Finally that is why if you like Shakespeare you should read, A Midsummer Night’s Dream.

i was inspired to write this peice after i read this book, it is not frequently chosen to be read by one unless someone tells them too.

Elsa said...
on Jun. 28 2017 at 5:25 am
The play was confusing and boring