A Separate Peace by John Knowles | Teen Ink

A Separate Peace by John Knowles

By haydenhyatt BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
haydenhyatt BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

In the novel A Separate Peace two boys by the name of Gene and Phineas must endure hardships with their friendship during WWII. The war is not only going to challenge their friendship, but also the characters in the novel.

During the novel the boys are attending a New Hampshire school called Devon. Gene is an intelligent student whose knowledge gets the best of him. In contrast Phineas is a sports junky who gives little concern for academics.

As the school year goes on the fear of being drafted is in their minds. Gene is struggling with Phineas because of constant disobedience towards Devon. But after a terrible accident that occurred to Phineas, Gene is left to blame.

Gene is being accused of causing the almost fatal injury to Phineas. As the time passes, Gene realizes Devon is just not the same without Phineas. It also gives Gene time to think about his so called “ Friendship ” and if it could even last another day.

John Knowles does an excellent job explaining the struggle of soon-to-be adults. Along with the worrying trouble of the war John Knowles mainly focuses on the emotional ride of a friendship. The book is unclose able as you read making you want to know what’s going to happen next.