The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros | Teen Ink

The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

By Shayna Ballard BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Shayna Ballard BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

“Esperanza, in English is means hope, in Spanish it means to many letters. It means sadness and waiting…” This is how Sarah Cisneros began writing the novel called The House on Mango Street. It starts off telling about Esperanza and her family moving to Mango Street. Esperanza always wanted a house like in the movies and magazines but sadly this wasn’t the house of her dreams. While living on Mango Street, she meets new friends Rachel and Lucy. They go on adventures like walking around in high heels and buying a bike.

After a while, Esperanza met a new friend, Sally. Sally is more sexually mature than Esperanza. But, being friends with Sally created a tragic event in Esperanza’s life. She then decides to go back to her older friends Lucy and Rachel. Although, Esperanza wants to leave Mango Street she stays because she knows it’s where she belongs.

Overall, this book kept me going, page to page, couldn’t put it down. This book has taught me to choose my friends wisely. Most importantly, not to trust people too easily. I highly recommend this book to teenage girls. Sandra Cisneros’s book The House on Mango Street is most defiantly an amazing novel.