Persuasion by Jane Austen | Teen Ink

Persuasion by Jane Austen

March 8, 2011
By EricaB. SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
EricaB. SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

AP Novel: Persuasion
Author: Jane Austen


Anne Elliot is the daughter of a wealthy man, Sir Walter Elliot. She has two other sisters named Mary and Elizabeth. Sir Walter Elliot loses all of their money, and their family is forced to rent out their home. They rent it to Admiral and Mrs. Croft. When the Crofts move in, Anne is excited because she might be able to see Captain Wentworth again. Captain Wentworth is the man she loves, and he is also Mrs. Croft’s brother. Eight years ago Captain Wentworth and Anne were going to get married, but Anne denied his proposal when her friend, Lady Russell, said it was not a right match. Captain Wentworth was thought to be beneath their family.

Eventually, Anne is introduced to her cousin named Mr. William Elliot. Mr. Elliot is interested in Anne, and he plans to marry her. When Anne finds out about Mr. Elliot’s past, she is shocked. Anne does not want to marry Mr. Elliot because he is only interested in becoming the heir of Kellynch. Anne must choose between who she loves and what is best for her family.

I really enjoyed reading Persuasion, published in 1971. I liked how Jane Austen illustrated the characters social class. Austen shows what it is like to be stuck between high social ranks and what one truly wants. I enjoyed how the author developed all the characters in the novel using different settings. Austen describes two types of social class. Mr. Elliot was born with high social class, and Captain Wentworth acquired his over time. My favorite part if the book is when Anne finds out about Mr. Elliot’s past. I liked this part because it is when Anne finds out what kind of person Mr. Elliot is. I would recommend this book to someone who enjoys reading realistic novels.