The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane | Teen Ink

The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane

By esteban_bejines BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
esteban_bejines BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane was first published 116 years ago in 1895. Crane’s book was one of the first Civil War books published, but his was in the first person perspective. Crane’s book was revolutionary in the world of Civil War literary. Not only is this a book about a boy, but it is about the conflicts he faces, not only as a solider, but a mere child.

At first, a reader would believe Henry was just and ordinary, brave, child who wanted to serve his country with pride. Even though his mother does not approve, he does enlist in the army anyways. Henry believed being a solider was going to be a walk in the park. Henry’s misfortune, being a solider was noting like stories he had herd of being a solider. Being a solider was hard work, tiring, and suspenseful and life threatening.

I thought that this book was a novel that should not be on a dusty bookshelf. It is a classic novel based on a solider not knowing what he had signed up for. Crane’s book is filled with characters that if you joined the army you would have met. Henry was told, “Henry, don’t you be a fool.” But to his despise he joined the army, he went to war. Now Henry is on is own, with no one to guide him.