Brave New World by Aldous Huxley | Teen Ink

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

By m.a.v.s BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
m.a.v.s BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley , was published in 1932.
Brave New World is an intricate novel about how humans are manipulated by modern science. Two of the main characters, Bernard Marx and Lenina Crowne are used to the World State society where Mustapha Mond is the World Controller of Western Europe. On the other hand, John, the protagonist, has lived his life in a village on the New Mexico savage reservation; there he is free to do what he wants

Throughout the novel the use of technology to manipulate society is exemplified. During this time, technology is the base of everything. The production of offspring, human beings’ feelings, desires, and values are all controlled by technology. “And if ever, by some unlucky chance, anything unpleasant should somehow happen, why there’s always soma to give you a holiday from the facts…” aree Mustapha Mond’s words. Soma allows humans to escape reality, basically, it is a drug used to keep everyone happy.
John is the only one who faces reality; he deals with his emotions, and for this he is my favorite character. John may be an outsider but he cares about individuals’ well-being. He has morals, dignity, and is religious: traits that all other characters lack.