The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane | Teen Ink

The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane

March 8, 2011
By Anonymous

In Stephen Crane’s novel, The Red Badge of Courage, he tells the story of a young boy. First published in 1895, 21 year old Crane writes a realistic fiction story. His story is a classic novel and relates to what may have happened in the Civil War.

The main character is a boy named Henry. Henry is a young, Northern boy fighting for the Union. He likes the feeling of going to war but, then soon realizes what he is into. While in the war he questions his cowardice. Henry and his regiment move place to place without encountering the enemy. One solider wants to fight the enemy and wants to soon see the enemy. Finally, the Union regiment that Henry is in, gets to show their toughness against the enemy.
In the battle, Henry witnesses some deaths of his friends and wants to help but can not because, he does not want to get in trouble for not fighting. While in battle he thinks of running into the woods many time, and soon does. When Henry’s mother tells him “Henry, don’t you be a fool” it relate to the theme of knowing what you’re doing and not being a person who does what other tell you.

I would recommend this book to people who like war and action books. I may relate to this book because, I want to go to the Marines But I have second thoughts. This was a great book.