The Lord of the Flies by William Golding | Teen Ink

The Lord of the Flies by William Golding

By KriegerOside70 BRONZE, Oceanside, California
KriegerOside70 BRONZE, Oceanside, California

Loss of Innocence

No one is above the law. This is but one of our laws set in our Constitution. Countries, like children, need rules in order to function properly. In Lord of the Flies, Golding conveys his message of the boy’s loss of innocence through lack of rules. Imagery and variety of syntax are the brushes he uses to paint this masterpiece of a novel.

Golding uses imagery to better show the boys’ loss of innocence on the island. Illustrating the damage done by the boys, the “scorched up” island was “like dead wood.” Like an apocalypse with no survivors, nothing was left untouched by the fire. The island is their hopes, while the fire is the hopes’ destruction. Ralph was “[shaking]” with uncontrollable “sobs.” The reality of the vents on the island hit him like a quarterback getting sacked. He used to be a nice little boy in a boarding school; but just a little while ago, he was running for his life. He is no longer the boy he once was.

Golding uses syntax variety to emphasize important details. After Ralph and the British officer finish talking, “Ralph looks at him dumbly.” Like a deer in headlights, he was stunned. The use of such a simple sentence amplifies that fact. The events on the island -the lack of order- have led to their innocence being lost. With “filthy bod[ies], matted hair, and unwiped nose[s];” they were only remnants of what they once were. Like cavemen, they were unclean and unwashed. This look -however unreasonable- is unlike their British nature. Their unwiped noses show that they are still children, even after what they have been through. Even though they should have stayed civilized, being British, they didn’t stay civilized. Even the best of society can succumb to the evils that exist within all humans.

Imagine a world with no rules. Although a paradise to some, it would be chaos for most. There would be murder, theft, and rape. However, a united world with law and order –without corruption- would be mush better than one without. Order is a necessity for kids –even adults- and also makes the world a better place to live.