Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead | Teen Ink

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

By Jessica Prather BRONZE, Craig, Colorado
Jessica Prather BRONZE, Craig, Colorado

Vampire. You hear the word and you will either be ecstatic or disgusted. Maybe "Twilight" is a book that you love or hate. Maybe you're sick of vampires altogether. Maybe you love them and are always looking for a new vampire-related novel to read. Whatever the case is, there is a (somewhat) new series out there for everyone; "Vampire Academy." This series brings a fantastic new outlook towards vampires. The novels are centered around Rose Hathaway, a dhampir (Half-human, half-vampire,) who is a sassy, tough girl who has a bad temper and the urge to fight all the time. Lissa Dragomir, Rose's best friend, is a main character as well, and even though Rose and Lissa are best friends, they are exact opposites. Lissa is quiet, well-mannered, and gentle, and the only Dragomir left after a tragic car accident. Lissa is a royal Moroi, (royal vampire) and Rose is her guardian, meant to protect her. Together, they find many adventures along with Dimitri, Adrian, Christian, Mia, and plenty more characters, fighting against Strigoi (bad vampires) and in the meantime, finding romance and fun. I definitely recommend this series, for it is well written and interesting, far better than "Twilight". The characters are interesting and deep, and never boring. It's a definite read, one that you will not find disappointing!