The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan | Teen Ink

The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan

By K.C.W BRONZE, Aurora, Illinois
K.C.W BRONZE, Aurora, Illinois

Imagine being born into a world unheard of, where your mom is a mortal, yet your dad is Zeus. Imagine having to fight mythological creatures every day, with the risk of dying as young as thirteen years old. Is it fantasy? Not to demigod’s at camp half-blood. Demigod is a term that means the offspring of a mortal and a god. If they are not found by the age of thirteen, they are better off dead.
This story is about three young kids-Jason, Piper, and Leo. Jason, son of Zeus, Piper, daughter of Aphrodite, and Leo, son of Hephaestus, are already put into their first quest as they arrive at camp. Hera, the queen of the gods, has been captured and taken prisoner by a group of evil giants. Mount Olympus has also been closed down temporarily, which doesn’t help. Hera is imprisoned in a cage made of vines and dirt, and her powers do not work inside this fortress. This earthly cage was made by Gaia, or Mother Earth. She has almost risen out of the ground which she has been trapped under all these years.
When Jason, Piper, and Leo first hear about the quest to save Hera, they are shocked. They have only been at camp for one day yet they’re supposed to go save the queen of the gods. As they become more and more equipped with their powers, they notice they are more dangerous than anyone knows. Jason, son of Zeus, can summon lightning on call and fry everyone around him. Leo, son of Hephaestus, can make amazing inventions out of little pieces of scrap metal. Oh yeah, he also has the power of fire. And last, but definitely not least, Piper, daughter of Aphrodite, has charm speak. She can make people do things just by using her voice. As the quest moves on, they meet more decisions that may tear them apart as friends, or pull them closer.
I rated this book a 4.5 out of 5. It had all the things I was looking for: a substantial plot, vivid settings, and well described characters. I promise you that you will not be bored with Rick Riordan’s books, especially this one. If you are looking for the first series of books about demigods, check out The Lightning Thief, book one of the Percy Jackson and The Olympians series. Thanks!