Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne | Teen Ink

Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

By skylaburds BRONZE, Pound Ridge, New York
skylaburds BRONZE, Pound Ridge, New York

Dear Mr. Boyne,

From the moment that I read your book, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, I have felt all kinds of emotions. The way that you described everything up until the last moment between Bruno and Shmuel when they became best friends amazed me. This was one of the best books that I have ever read and I will be sure to recommend it to all of my friends because not only is it an educational book, but is a heartfelt book that anyone will get attached too.

This book I could not relate to as well as I could have with another book, but I could relate to this friendship. Shmuel and Bruno were the opposite, on different sides of the fence, but they put aside their differences and just talked. My friends and I do not have all of the same interests, but that is what makes us one big group and that is why we love each other because we have our own opinions like Bruno and Shmuel have.

Your use of imagery throughout the book was amazing, even through a young boys mind. Talking about Bruno’s life in Berlin to his new life was amazing. The way you described the camp and the houses and even the people wearing the white and blue stripped pajamas was sad, but I felt as though I was right there with Bruno, talking to Shmuel about my life as well.

I was very surprised at myself when I began to cry at the end of your story. Your words went straight to heart and I loved how you described the two friends as they went into the dark and warm room. Knowing that these things were happening and innocent people were being killed disgusted me and I wish I could have done something to stop it sooner. You have taught me so much and I thank you for that. Thank you so much, Mr. Boyne, You are a wonderful writer and I hope to read more of your books in the future.
Sincerely,

A Reader

This is a book review in a letter form, to the author.

Lexi4eva said...
on Mar. 10 2011 at 10:13 am
That was a sad movie

on Mar. 9 2011 at 11:23 am
MattMiller SILVER, Orange, California

I am who I am.

this is a really good book .. i recommend it to anyone that comes across this or the book itself.. and for those at school, if your library has it take advantage of it and read it hahah ...

Lilies BRONZE said...
on Mar. 8 2011 at 8:24 am
Lilies BRONZE, Columbus, New Jersey

"Reach for the stars, even if you have to stand on a cactus."
- Susan Longacre

This is really clever! Great job.