Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher | Teen Ink

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

By Alli34 BRONZE, L&#39Anse, Michigan
Alli34 BRONZE, L&#39Anse, Michigan

THIRTEEN REASONS WHY

Thirteen Reasons Why, by Jay Asher is an intense novel about a high school girl, Hannah Baker, that kills herself. Clay Jensen one of Hannah’s friends comes home one day to find a shoe box filled with tapes. Every tape has one reason on it, one reason why Hannah Baker killed herself; there are 13 tapes, for 13 people. This book is all within one night. While Clay listens to each tape, he follows a map that Hannah made for the people to follow along with her stories. The only people that really know she killed herself are the ones that have gotten the tapes everyone one else thinks otherwise. For the 13 people, they have to live with knowing they had a reason for a suicide, just from one stupid mistake that they made, and that’s what made me keep reading.

One of my favorite things about this book was the suspense throughout the whole book; Clay is waiting and waiting for his turn. So that made me want to keep reading so I knew why. There were so many good parts in this book; I liked how they kept it interesting by going from listing to Hannah to what’s happening to Clay, which kept the story going. But like all books, not everything was good. Even though I did say that I liked how the story switched from Hannah to Clay, at parts it could be confusing I could not really tell who is talking. Also in some of the cassette’s the stories got really boring, it seemed like she kept going on about the same thing through the whole cassette. At times in the book it could get depressing in certain ways, like when would not go home or when he did not really want to talk to anyone.

If I had to recommend this to anyone I would say to anyone who would like the kind of mystery, in a sad kind of way. I would say this book is very realistic to me, because this could happen to anyone and no one would even know. If you would like an eye opening book that will get you to see things like that in a different way then this book would be a good book for you.