The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The Hunger Games is a very popular book among teens. It's about a 16-year-old girl, Katniss, whose sister, Prim, is chosen to compete in the Hunger Games, an annual ­tournament where children are forced to fight to the death on live television. Katniss loves her sister very much, so she volunteers to go in Prim's place.

I first picked up this book because everyone else was reading it. The plot caught my interest, and I saw it everywhere in school, so I decided to read it. The first thing I thought when I finished it was, Why is this so popular? I mean, the plot is definitely good, but the writing is only so-so. However, I actually did sort of like the book. I can count on one hand the books that have managed to make me cry, and this is one of them.

I did have a minor problem with the character development though. The point of Katniss going into the Hunger Games in the first place was to save her sister. The only problem is that Prim has about three lines of dialogue before the main character is sacrificing her life for her. I like to actually get to know a character before I start feeling all mushy about her life being in danger.

What also bugs me is the author makes a big point of the fact that Katniss has no special talents except archery. When it comes to public speaking, leadership, and intelligence, Katniss just stands back and lets the male characters make decisions for her. Oh, and ­apparently Stephenie Meyer recommends this book. (No surprise there.)

Anyway, I did like The Hunger Games, even though it had (a lot of) problems. I would recommend it to anyone who likes excitement and doesn't mind (many) plot holes. Also, if you have a weak stomach, don't read this. (Wow, I'm doing a terrible job selling it, aren't I?)

But other than that, it's a good book.

My rating? 6/10

writer101 said...
Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:35 pm:
I love the Hunger Games.You do get to know Prim through out the story its just through Katniss's eyes,which was one of the things i enjoyed.Also the books are all about the Hunger Games and the capitol and Prim did not have anything to do with those two things except in the begining of the first and towrds the end of the last.The fact that Katniss's wekness was pointed out through out the book was because it was Katness comparing herself to Peeta.

SamA11 said...
I loved this book. It is pretty gory but I've still followed the series since the book becames so well known. However I do se your point about Prim and there are books with more of a meaning that deserve to be just as welll known. That did not stop me voting it for the red hous childrens book awards though.

Ravenclaw12 said...
Feb. 24, 2011 at 10:57 pm:

:) I liked this book, actually.

Yeah, only I didn't really get why Stephenie Meyer recommended it. Because this book, (like pretty much every other book I've ever read), made Twilight look pretty LAME.

I definitely agree with you about Prim. Katniss is talking about her the whole time and I just kept thinking, wait, why do I care about Prim again? :\ 

But I don't think it was Suzanne Collins claiming that Katniss has no special talents so much as it was... (more »)

HonorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 1:33 pm :
I liked the Hunger Games alot...the first and secound weren't as good though.