The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane | Teen Ink

The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane

January 17, 2011
By Nolan SILVER, Vancouver, Washington
Nolan SILVER, Vancouver, Washington
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The difference between try and triumph is a little umph"


The Red Badge of Courage is about a youth named Henry Fleming. Despite his mothers wishes he signs himself up for admission into the union army. The story is about his journey through the civil war and his transformation from a farm boy to a stone hard soldier. he encounters many different people such as Jim - a tall soldier who has a leaders personality, but is wounded and eventually dies in the regiments first battle. Wilson - a loud arrogant soldier who at first is kinda a jerk, becomes a loyal friend to Fleming to which they endure many battles together and building a strong bond between the two. the tattered soldier who becomes sorta an annoyance to Fleming as his mindless babbling becomes a thorn in Flemings brain. And the Lieutenant - a energetic and youth lieutenant that is a profuse swearer and a natural leader, at first is oblivious to Flemings mere existence eventually he recognizes the many brave deeds Fleming accomplishes in battle uses Fleming as a partner to motivate the rest of the soldiers. All of these characters are important parts in Henry's journey in the Union army as he endures many battles and reveals the true meaning of bravery and courage. Overall this is a very good book that - in my opinion - has with standed the test of time. I would definitely recommend this book to a friend who is seeking a book about inspiring courage in the unpredictable era of the civil war.