Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway

We’ve all heard an appealing song on the radio and we sing or hum along. Well, for Audrey Cuttler, this is pure mortification. Sure, Evan’s song sounded catchy, but she never imagined it would become this prominent. Now her peers hum it when they pass her in the halls, it incessantly plays on the radio, and her face is plastered all over notorious gossip magazines.

Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway is a revealing novel about how teenagers react to celebrities. Many of the characters are very defined and distinctive. The protagonist, Audrey, for instance, is sarcastic, yet sweet beyond her appearance. Her best friend, Victoria is a rebellious straight-A student, who likes dying her hair vibrant hues like royal blue and neon pink, but she also has a flawless attendance record and is expected to be the valedictorian of her class. During the plot, Audrey becomes a teen sensation because the new number one song is about her. While Audrey thinks of it as a living nightmare—being humiliated in public, reporters capturing her kissing a singer at a concert on film, and being bombarded by fans on a date, Victoria is a little more nonchalant—thinking about Audrey becoming a spokesperson for various cosmetics and even starring in her own reality TV show.

Robin Benway uses great vocabulary, yet it is pleasantly understandable. Some of the novel may be cliché, yet it still stands out from other teen novels. There is superb imagery throughout the novel and it keeps you on the edge of your seat.

FreedomIsMyVirtue said...
I love Audrey, Wait! Robin Benway is very hilarious, more than hilarious if possible!