Forged by Fire by Sharon M. Drapor | Teen Ink

Forged by Fire by Sharon M. Drapor

January 14, 2011
By staisha foster-jarvis BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
staisha foster-jarvis BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Gerald was only three when he learned many lessons.1.NEVER mess with Mama when she's in bed, especially when she's sleeping with someone.2.NEVER stay near mama when she sniffs that white stuff and... 3.NEVER touch Mamas lighter. Those were some of the things Gerald had to learn from his evil, drug addicted and careless mother. Somehow, he managed to remember all those things as a curious three year old. Some of these things go on throughout his life. As he grows up he realizes what's going on...

Forged by Fire, a story, is a realistic fiction novel. In my opinion Sharon M. Draper, the author of Forged by Fire, has a great writing style. The way she writes her novels makes her readers want to read more. She also wrote a lot of books that won Coretta Scott King awards, proving that she's a good writer.

This story shows how a young boy, named Gerald, has struggled since the age of three. For example, "If you don't sit your useless butt back down in that shopping cart, I swear I'll bust your greasy face in!" This shows how his mother, talking to him when he was only three years old! He was tortured on the palm of his hand with a lighter, he gets trapped in a fire and gets beat up by his stepfather (Jordan). Him and his sister, Angel, give up on the abuse and finally tell someone. He tries to learn how to handle problems in his life.

The theme of Forged by Fire is to always have someone to turn to. For example, when Angel was going through things with her father (Jordan) she would always turn to Gerald to tell him what's going on. In my opinion, it's best when you have someone to talk to when you have problems. The lesson is when you have someone to turn to it's most likely that things will change and get better in your life.

I give this novel a 4 1/2 stars out of 5 stars because it's a really breath taking story that will make you laugh a little and cry a little and I love the way it's written. This proves that it's a great book for you. This is how life really is for a child that is suffering from abuse. I think this is a good book for the whole world to read because it's realistic fiction and this actually happens to really children in the world.

All in all, Gerald goes through a rough life, but his sister is there to cheer him up. Even though he struggles he manages to get through high school and his friends. This is a beautiful novel and a heart-warming story. Forged by Fire, by Sharon M. Draper, is one of my favorite book and an award-winning novel that deserves to be read by everyone.