The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

By Selena Kwan BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Selena Kwan BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

The Hunger Games is an awesome book and once you start you don’t want to stop. The book is mostly about how Katniss takes her sister’s place in the annual hunger games, where kids fight to their death. I think Katniss is very brave for taking her sister’s place in the hunger game. I think Katniss took her sister’s place because she probably didn’t want to see her sister get hurt. The Hunger Games is the start of a new series and once you finish The Hunger Games, you would really want to read the second book, Catching Fire, and then the third book, Mocking Jay. Suzanne Collins’ novel, The Hunger Games, is a very interesting book that everyone should read.
The Hunger Games, a novel in a series by Suzanne Collins, this book is about how Katniss, the main character, is in the annual hunger games, a game where kids 12 to 18 years kid fight to their death. Katniss’ father died years ago and her mother has been shocked ever since, so Katniss and her sister, Prim, are in need of food. She also has a good friend named Gale that helps her when she needs it. The day they pick who is going to be in the hunger games, Katniss was in shock that Prim was chosen so instead Katniss volunteered to go. Katniss also found out that she was going with a boy she met before. Will she try to get out of going to the hunger games? You will have to read the book to find out!
I think the theme for this book is that friends and family will always be there for you because they love you unconditionally. Prim’s mother is always there for Prim like when Prim was curled up next to her mother. So this example shows how Prim and her mother cares about each other and that they would probably always be there for each other. Another example is when Prim was chosen to be in the hunger games but Katniss didn’t want to see Prim get hurt so she volunteered to go instead of having Prim go. This shows how Katniss would rather be in the hunger games and fight to death instead of watching her sister get hurt. Sometimes even people you don’t know can help you, like after Katniss’ father died they were in need of food and Peeta Mellark, a boy that goes to school with Katniss, gave her bread and got punished. That just proves that friends, family, or even people you don’t very well can help you.
If I had to rate this book from 1 to 10 I would give The Hunger Games a 10 because it is very popular and most people that reads it likes it. I would recommend this book to people that like books by Suzanne Collins or science fiction. I think this book is good for people that like series of books because once you read The Hunger Games you are going to really want to read Catching Fire and then Mocking Jay. Some people that have read the series like the first two books but don’t like the third book. So some people would recommend the first two but I would just recommend all 3 books and leave it to the reader to decide if they like all the books or not. So I am recommending The Hunger Games to people who like science fiction or books by Suzanne Collins.
“But there’s also food if you know how to find it. My father knew and he taught me some before he was blown to bits in a mine explosion. There was nothing even to bury. I was eleven then. Five years later, I still wake up screaming for him to run.” I don’t like this quote because it is talking about how her father died and how she was still screaming five years later. I think it is very sad how her father died in a mine explosion. “The other kids make way immediately allowing me a straight path to the stage. I reach her just as she is about to mount the steps. With one sweep of my arm, I push her behind me. ‘I volunteer’ I gasp ‘I volunteer as tribute!’” I kind of like this quote because Katniss is taking Prim’s place in the hunger games. I don’t really like it because no matter whose goes in the hunger games has a chance to die. I think it is sad how people have to go and fight to their death and how the person that was chosen is forced to go.
In conclusion, Suzanne Collins’ novel, The Hunger Games, is a very interesting book that everyone should read. Mostly people that like science fiction or like Suzanne Collins’ books should read this book maybe even this series. People that haven’t read this book and think they wouldn’t like it should try it any ways because I think everyone that reads it would like it. If people do read the book they should think about reading the second book. Once you start you want to read more because it gets straight to the action and it is really descriptive. But after the first book you would probably want to know what happens next. If you do read the book you should think of questions like, what will Katniss do? Will Katniss and Peeta protect each other or is it everyone for their selves? Will Katniss’ mother be in shock again if Katniss losses? How will Prim and her mother serve? You will have to read the book to find out.