The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan | Teen Ink

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

January 13, 2011
By Emily Humpert BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
Emily Humpert BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Percy never knew that he was a half-blood, but this school year he was about to find out the hard way. In the book, Percy Jackson and the Olympians The Lightning Thief, the first of five, Rick Riordan writes an exciting fiction novel about Percy Jackson trying to survive the sixth grade while being chased by monsters that want to kill him. The monsters think that Percy has stolen the most powerful weapon on earth, Zeus’s lightning bolt. Along the way his best friend Grover helps him get to Camp Half-Blood but with a major consequence. When Percy comes to the camp for the first time he’s not sure if he likes his new home. But at the camp, Percy learns about his true self and also makes a great friend, Annabeth. During the quest to find the real thief of the lightning bolt, Percy and his friends face difficult challenges along the way. Percy needs to watch his back at all times because there is something other than monsters that want to kill him. Will Percy and his friends ever return back to camp? What if Percy really did steal the Lightning Bolt?

This book was excellent! I loved how Riordan put humor into the book but without making the book to funny to read. I thought that Riordan did a great job with detail. There was never a dull moment in this book! I was never into mythology, but The Lightning Thief got me into to it right away. I would recommend this book to kids in the grades six and up because kids that age could relate to what Percy is going through. I think that kids could relate to Percy because Percy’s mom is going out with a pig and Percy hates him. Kids that age or a little older have gone through that and that makes The Lightning Thief easy to connect to.