The Batboy by Mike Lupica | Teen Ink

The Batboy by Mike Lupica

By Noah Mellifont BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
Noah Mellifont BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

“It was one of those moments when Brian felt as if baseball was close enough for him to reach out and touch.”

In the book The Batboy, Brian Dudley, a teenage boy who has a passion for baseball, writes a letter to the Detroit Tigers applying for a batboy job. The Tigers accept him and Brian
has one of the neatest jobs a kid could have. The problem is, that Brian’s dad was a major league
baseball pitcher and now is a pitching coach in Japan, which means Brian does not get to see him
a lot. Brian’s favorite player, Hank Bishop, joins the Tiger’s team after getting caught using
steroids. Hank is not what Brian expects. Brian is a kid who loves baseball and knows almost too much about it. He is a lonely kid who misses having his dad to watch baseball games with him. Brian lives with his mom, who is a great parent, but who does not like baseball because she feels like baseball was the reason for her divorce from Brian’s dad.

Mike Lupica is a great sports writer and reporter, and has written another great book in The Batboy. Other great books written by Mr. Lupica are Heat, The Big Field and Summer Ball.
Mike Lupica has made his characters in The Batboy come alive by giving great detail on how the
characters think, feel, and appear. I personally thought that this book was great and I am certain that others who read it will feel the same. I give this book two thumbs up. When enjoying this book, the reader never knows what is going to happen next, which makes it hard to put down. I recommend this book to teenagers who like sports.This realistic fiction is going to capture your interest and not give it back until you finish the last page.