Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

By Sara McAllister BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
Sara McAllister BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

If you want to read a book that is filled with adventures, then you should read the book Catching Fire, by Suzanne Collins. This is the second science-fiction book in The Hunger Games trilogy. This book tells the story of a seventeen-year old girl, Katniss. She and the baker's son, Peeta are both survivors of the seventy-fourth Hunger Games. They are the only two people in the history of the Hunger Games who have both come out alive, in one game. When they returned back to district twelve, nothing has been the same. Each district has a fence that surounds it. There is supposed to be electricity running through it all of the time but, no one ever turns it on in district twelve. When Katniss left for her daily hunting trip, the fence is turned on. Now there is no way Katniss can get food to feed Gale's family. Katniss has helped Gale's family get food because both of their dad's died in a mine explosion. Katniss has sworn to never go back into the mines but, that is the only way Gale can make descent money for his family. The only problem is Katniss has feelings for Gale. Everyday, she worries if Gale will make it out okay. Katniss is forced to love Peeta but now, she does love him. She has to choose just one, while breaking the other's heart.

Catching Fire is one of the best books I have read. What I enjoyed about the book was the author's writing style, which made me keep reading. The novel was filled with a ton of surprises. The most shocking part of the book was the last few pages. I was never able to to guess what twists and turns the author was going to add. The second thing I enjoyed about this novel was the point-of-view because I believe that Katniss is the most interesting person out of everyone. What kept me reading was wanting to know what was going to happen next. Just like the first book, the author did an excellent job of describing the people and places. I would recommend this book to everyone. There are battles, romance, and rivalries to fit everyone's enjoyment. I will definitely read the third and final book in the series.