Holes by Louis Sachar | Teen Ink

Holes by Louis Sachar

Holes is a powerful look at team work, friendship, and trust with a very strange twist to it. Basically, it is about two main characters, Hector and Stanley. A famous pair of shoes have been stolen and they end up with Stanley. He claims they just fell out of the sky, but that might just be the case. Stanley then has to go to a detention camp called Camp Green Lake in the middle of the desert. While he is there, he meets Hector who is in the camp and has been there two days before Stanley arrived and also has to do with the shoes. In the camp they have to dig 5 foot holes each day, all day, but it might not just be punishment; the counselors are looking for something and Stanley just might know what that is. He runs away from the camp with Hector and then has to survive in the middle of the desert to find the treasure.

This book is great for all ages eight and up. It is adventure, humor, and mystery. It was made into a movie in 2005 and the book got a John Newbery award. My opinion is that it is a great book and who ever you are you will enjoy this. It is full of suspense and also laughter that you will not be able to put down. Happy reading!