Shiver and Linger by Maggie Stiefvater | Teen Ink

Shiver and Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

By Paige O&#39Piela BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
Paige O&#39Piela BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

Imagine being in love with a wolf. Not just any wolf - a werewolf. At first it doesn’t really matter - they are wolf in the winter and human in the warm weather. You may survive a season without them. But then you realize they can only keep shifting for so long. Shiver and Linger, by Maggie Stiefvater, are the first and second books in The Wolves of Mercy Falls Trilogy. These romance novels cover the story of Grace Brisbane and her werewolf boyfriend, Sam Roth. The pair endures many struggles to stay together. Grace was attacked by a pack of wolves when she was younger. She would have died if it hadn’t been for one special wolf - Sam. When the two realize it may be Sam’s last summer as a human, the race for a cure is on. They planned on being together for as long as they lived. But when Grace starts to experience wolf like symptoms, their dreams of being together forever are shattered. Recently bitten, Cole St. Clair has a secret - fame. As the lead singer for a well known band, his disappearance surprises the whole world. To him, being a wolf is a way of escaping the terrible memories as a human being. But would losing his best friend, losing love and losing good memories be worth it in the end?

Shiver and Linger always kept me engaged. You don’t need to be a big fantasy fan in order to enjoy these stories. The romance element keeps the book realistic even when the werewolf part does not. I would recommend both books to mature female readers due to some content that may be inappropriate for younger individuals. The first two books in the trilogy are available at most bookstores. I look forward for the third book, Forever, to come out in July of this year. These stories won’t leave you disappointed. They will leave you begging for more.