The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey by Trenton Lee Stewart | Teen Ink

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey by Trenton Lee Stewart

By Arthur Girard BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Arthur Girard BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Imagine three of your best friends, and imagine you haven't seen them in a year. Then imagine that you are finally coming back together again. Happy, right? Now imagine if a colleague and mentor of yours is kidnapped the day of the reunion. If this mentor is not rescued, then all is lost. This shows what four friends are going through in this book. The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey, by Trenton Lee Stewart, is a fast paced and gripping book that is fun to read.

The book The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey, by Trenton Lee Stewart, is a very intense book. Back a year ago, four friends saved the world from a villain named Mr. Curtain. Now these friends are finally coming back together when they find that Mr. Benedict, their leader, has been kidnapped. To save him, they must work out the clues he has left for them. The first clues are easy to follow, but they soon realize that Mr. Curtain has men along the trail waiting for them. Will they be able to outwit the opposition and save Mr. Benedict? Read this book to find out.

One of the main themes in this book is greed. People can easily be swayed if they are offered money, and that shows up a lot in this book. Many times in this book, the children have been tricked by people who have been bribed. I think this book is trying to show how much greed can warp someone's good intentions. For example, one time in the journey, the clues brought the children to a hotel. When they got to the hotel, they were ambushed by men that had been called in by a bribed staff member. This shows that greed is one of the main themes in this book.

One aspect of this book that is really interesting is the main characters. These are not just normal kids; they are each unique in their own way, and reading about them is very exciting. First of all, there is Reynie, who is very good at problem solving and riddles. He is the group's leader. Next there is Sticky, a person who remembers everything that he sees, be it paper, train schedules, or maps. Sticky's memory plays a big part in this book. The next character, Kate, is an athletic miracle. She is able to do everything that is physically possible, such as climbing up elevator shafts, or tying her shoes with one hand and doing things with the other at the same time. She carries things around in a bright red bucket. Kate is amazing because of her speed, also. She is able to go down a flight of stairs, sneak into a room, and steal something in the time it takes others to get to the stairs. Constance is the strangest of them all. She can sense things that are about to happen, and figure out riddles almost as quick as Reynie. The strange thing is, she is only three years old! This book has no shortage of interesting characters, and they are very fun to read about.

If you are looking for a captivating and exciting book to read, this book is definitely for you. It has tons of action, amazing characters, and a great plot that will bring you in. When I read this book, I couldn't put it down, I always had to know what would happen next. For me I always felt danger around every corner, so it was really suspenseful. Also, there is a feeling of urgency in the book , the sense that if they take to long, all is lost. This is a great all around book, and is an amazing read. School Library Journal said not just a rip-roaring adventure ... but also a warm and satisfying tale about friendship." This is definitely true about this book. One thing is, you should read The Mysterious Benedict Society first to fully understand this book.

To recap, The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey, by Trenton Lee Stewart, is a book that is a great adventure. The four friends must fight their way through Mr. Curtain's henchmen, and solve the riddles that will lead them to their friend. It is a very suspenseful story, with tons of twists and turns. Who will come out on top at the end? You will have to read this book to find out.