A Step from Heaven by An na | Teen Ink

A Step from Heaven by An na

January 11, 2011
Anchana Prasongsanti BRONZE, BKK, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

A Step from Heaven

A Step from Heaven, written by An Na. This book received “Winner of the 2002 Michael L. Printz Award, A 2001 National book Award Finalist.” It is about a girl her named Young Ju. She moved from Korea to America with her family. This book is very interesting because the story has many conflicts about Young Ju’s life and her family. When I read this book, it made me keener on the climax, and I couldn't stop reading because I wanted to know what would happen next.
Young Ju is the main character in this story. She moved from Korean to America when she was young. Her family thought America could fulfill their dream, and their dream was to have a better life in America. They thought that they would become rich and had a blissful life. However, everything didn't go the way they wanted. In reality, it’s totally opposite. In America, they had to live with their uncle and aunt. They also had issues within their family especially the financial problem. Young Ju always had problems in her life and sometime she felt sentimental. However, the story didn’t bore me at all. On the other hand, it makes me really want to know how Young Ju overcomes all of the problems. Oh! For one thing, I was so surprise that Young Ju and her family couldn't speak English which is made the story very observable. Can you ever imagine that people who cannot speak even a word of English, have to move to America? Young Ju and her family had to adjust themselves so much. In my opinion, I think this book is very appropriate for teenagers because it’s about family and also about teenagers and their problems. The story is told through the main protagonist, Young Ju.
This book creates a lot of imagination to the reader. Then when I read this book, it freed my imagination. The story line in one chapter made me think like I had a lot of mind mapping ideas which created the story inside my head. I had to think all the time when I read this book, and it felt like I took part in the story. It was very enjoyable.
I have a strong determine to recommend you and especially for teenager to read “A Step from Heaven.” This book is very valuable than you think. If you start reading this book, you absolutely cannot stop reading it. This book conceals many consideration points that you get by reading. You might actually believe it after you finish this book, your thoughts, your living and your ideas will change forever. This book is a magnificent!


The author's comments:
:)