The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold | Teen Ink

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

By TheRinaBean BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
TheRinaBean BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

“Inside the snow globe on my father’s desk, there was a penguin wearing a red-and-white-striped scarf.  When I was little my father would pull me into his lap and reach for the snow globe.  He would turn it over, letting all the snow collect on top, then quickly invert it.  The two of us watched the snow fall gently around the penguin.  The penguin was alone in there, I thought, and I worried for him.  When I told my father this, he said, “Don’t worry Susie; he has a nice life.  He’s trapped in a perfect world.”
The Lovely Bones,by Alice Sebold is a fiction story that tells the tragic story of Susie Salmon and how her family tries to overcome grief. Susie was a 14-year old girl when she was raped and murdered on December 6, 1973.  Susie tells most of her story while she is in between heaven and the real world.  Where Susie is, she is able to watch over the people in the world she knew before, and she tells about how her family is dealing with her death, and the things they do as a result.  Susie is living in a place where she will only make it to heaven if she completes her job in helping her family find her murderer.  Read the book and find out what happens.
The Lovely Bones is a great book,  it was a very interesting subject and it was hard to put down.  Alice Sebold did a terrific job at capturing the voice of the young girl Susie Salmon, and had an excellent plot line.  I liked how the book was very descriptive, I could see the characters clearly in my head while I read. I also liked how the setting was almost unreal because half of it is set in a made up world. I would have to recommend this book for older teens and adults because of some mature scenes.  I would have to rate this book 10/10, it is a book that will make you think.