Jaguar by Roland Smith | Teen Ink

Jaguar by Roland Smith

By Nils Valdmanis BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
Nils Valdmanis BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

Jacob Lansa never would have thought that he would end up in the jungles of Brazil. In the adventurous book, Jaguar by Roland Smith the story shows the meaning of bravery and friendship. The main character, Jacob Lansa, starts in a nursing home in Poughkeepsie where he lives. He has a legal guardian named Peter who takes care of him. Jake loses faith in his dad, Doc, when he stays in Manaus, Brazil for longer than planned without writing back much at all. Eventually, Jake goes down to Manaus to see his father for about a week, but ends up staying much longer. Jake’s father’s plan was to help his friend Bill set up a jaguar preserve. When Bill dies in a mysterious accident Jake, Doc and several other characters are forced to set it up themselves. They go on the trip of a lifetime down the Amazon but someone is trying to spoil it for all of them.

I think this book can open up the minds of people and make them feel like they are really there. All the clues fit together and make the story flow. This book is in third person which allowed me to really see all of the characters’ personalities. Roland Smith has spent many years studying wildlife from all parts of the world so he definitely knows how to write books on animals. He also writes other books though like PEAK and Jack’s Run.

I recommend this book to children ten and up that love adventure. I give this book five out of five stars. It was a brilliant read and I guarantee if you read it, you will like it.