The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

“You must go to the pyramids in Egypt. . . There you will find a treasure that will make you rich man.” Author, Paulo Coelho, tells a story of self-worth and discovery in The Alchemist. The Alchemist describes the story of a lone and independent young Shepard named Santiago. Santiago had always wanted to know more about the world, and at a young age left his home with little more then a herd of sheep to live on. He travels around Spain learning more than ever until he begins to have a weird dream and learns it means he must go on a long journey away from the southern Europe home he knows. As he searches for his place in the world, he soon learns that the places he goes now are different, just like he is becoming in search of the treasure.

Coelho’s writing gives a vivid description of this long journey to self understanding. The detail used keeps the reader feeling right next to the character every step. The symbolism used tells a story beyond the words on a page. He hits the idea of the wanting to know your place in the universe dead on. He tells the theory of the universe being behind you when you really want something and are trying to gain it. Coelho’s twist and turns are unpredictable which keeps he reader into the storyline. If you like asking yourself the big questions, The Alchemist will help question and understand. I recommend it to a mature audience who like stories where you can look beyond.