Last Shot by John Feinstein | Teen Ink

Last Shot by John Feinstein

By Michael Martinez BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
Michael Martinez BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

Stevie Thomas never thought in a million years that he would be able to meet famous sport broadcasters like Dick Vitale. The book the Last Shot, by John Feinstein is a sports book about two eighth graders Stevie Thomas and Susan Carol Anderson, who win a writing contest and win a trip to New Orleans to see the NCAA basketball Final Four games. They got to be journalists for the weekend. They also meet famous broadcasters. It wasn’t all fun though, because they overhear a conversation between Minnesota States star player Chip Graber and a mysterious man, who has been blackmailing Chip. Stevie and Susan decide to try and solve the mystery and stop the blackmailer. Throughout the book Steve and Susan have to hide, sneak and lie to solve the case.

Last Shot is one of the best books I’ve ever read. I really like how Feinstein used real teams and real coaches instead of fake teams and fake coaches so that you know who they’re talking about. I also like how he made Susan smarter and taller than Steve, it gave the book some humor. I would give this book at least 4 stars because it’s a great sports book with lots of thrill. I would recommend this book to any middle schooler who likes sports and especially basketball. Read this book to find out who the blackmailer is, why he’s blackmailing Chip and if Steve and Susan stop him.