Ranger's Apprentice: The Burning Bridge by John Flanagan | Teen Ink

Ranger's Apprentice: The Burning Bridge by John Flanagan

January 11, 2011
By Vincent Palenick BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
Vincent Palenick BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The Burning Bridge tells the story of a world known as Araluen. The main character, Will is an apprentice to a famous Ranger known as Halt in this amazing book by John Flanagan. In the world in which this fiction story takes place, there is a war brewing. Will, Gilan, and Horace ride to Celtica to seek allies to fight for their side in the war. Gilan is also a Ranger, and Horace is attending battleschool and is also a close friend of Will's. Once in Celtica, the three of them found the place deserted, so they searched for the reason. Gilan left Will and Horace to set up camp while he continued looking. While Gilan is off searching, two bandits find Will and Horace. Luckily, the two boys hold them off until Gilan arrives, and then they tie up the bandits and question them. The bandits explain that wargals raided Celtica, when a girl named Evanlyn comes forth and tells them she was on a mission when her group was attacked by Wargals and only she survived. Evanlyn stays with Will and Horace to trail the Wargals while Gilan rides back to the Redmont fief to warn Baron Arald. Eventually the three of them find a bridge that leads across a fissure, which is how the Wargal army plans to take over Araluen. Will burns the bridge, and then is captured by Skandians along with Evanlyn.

I really enjoyed Flanagan's style of writing in this book. The author did a great job describing everything that was going on with good detail. Flanagan also did a fantastic job making the events in the book exciting and this story had my undivided attention the entire time I was reading it. He wrote this story in third person limited point of view which allowed me to understand the characters well. I can't wait to read the next book in the series because the author ended the book with a cliffhanger. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys reading action, adventure, fiction, or fantasy type of stories. This book was fun to read.