The Underneath by Kathi Appelt | Teen Ink

The Underneath by Kathi Appelt

By Silverkeys BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Silverkeys BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan

“The Underneath. The dark and holy Underneath.” It all starts out when a mother cat meets a lonesome hound, and together they create their own small family under the porch of a dangerous and horrible man named Gar Face. Kittens come, leading to stories unraveling, and they must learn to stay in their tiny, but safe area, the Underneath. However, kittens are curious, and when one ventures out into the open, he doesn’t expect the many exciting and suspenseful events that end up occurring. In this fabulous fiction tale, The Underneath, by Kathi Appelt, creatures that have hidden for a thousand years will show themselves, leading to a great adventure involving them all.

Unique, catchy, and with some poetry and songs, the author’s style in The Underneath is pretty impressive. I also thought the characters were amazing; I definitely got attached to a few of them, and some I hated because of their actions. The author did well when it came to the setting: a magical bayou and under a porch, can become some special places. This book of love, good vs. evil, and a whole lot more would be right for kids around ages ten to fourteen. The Underneath was published in 2008, and is relatively new, and if you enjoy it, Keeper is also a good book by Kathi Appelt. Receiving both a Newberry Honor, and a National Book Award, The Underneath will keep you hooked until the surprising and dramatic end, just like it did for me.