The Giver by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

The Giver by Lois Lowry

By Nick Hubbard BRONZE, AnnArbor, Michigan
Nick Hubbard BRONZE, AnnArbor, Michigan

Jonas never knew that his life could change so much in such a short amount of time. A single moment would change Jonas’s life forever. The Giver by Lois Lowry is a strange but heartwarming tale of a boy named Jonas. Jonas lives in a perfect community with no pain, no war and no mistake or error that goes without correction. He lives there with his family unit: his mother, his father and his sister, Lily. Jonas is eleven, he is coming of age in the community. He will soon experience his “ceremony of twelve” where he becomes an adult in the community and as an adult, Jonas will be given many responsibilities. Everyone will get their job assignment. Jonas will also have a place in the community. But wait Jonas must have misheard the speaker who is leading the ceremony. They were given a number at birth at which order they were born in that year which is the order that they go during the ceremony. She skipped him! He is confused along with everyone else. He feels everyone’s eyes burning at his back he feels uneasy. She must have made a mistake but if not. What did Jonas do wrong?

I loved the giver a lot. Lowry used great detail in everything she did. I liked the book one because of the great detail, it made sure that you never wanted to put the book down. It was also hard to put it down because the setting and the plot were amazing. It’s only a 180_page book and it has a plot that makes you feel like it’s so much more. I would recommend this book to sixth graders and up because of some graphic word choice that makes you picture it also some of the word choice might be hard for younger readers to understand.