Where the Heart is by Billie Letts | Teen Ink

Where the Heart is by Billie Letts

By Megan Carr BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
Megan Carr BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

Novalee Nation is seventeen, seven months pregnant  and is left in Sequoyah Oklahoma in a Wal-Mart with only $7.77 after her boyfriend, Willy Jack leaves her. Novalee meets other people that help her get through her unusual time. Sister Husband is a blue haired woman that mistakes Novalee for Ruth Ann one of her relatives.  Moses Whitecotten, a photographer.  Benny Goodluck, a native American boy who gives her a buckeye tree for good luck. Forney Hull is a man that is working for his sister in the town library. Novalee has many encounters with these characters throughout the book. It’s a heartwarming story about a girl that learns what family really is, not the people you’re related to but the people who love you unconditionally and will be there for you when others aren’t.  
My opinion of Where The Heart Is, is that it’s a great book about life and how Novalee changes from a girl to a woman. I really liked this book, it had a great plot. I loved the names Letts chose for the characters, they were very unique.  I don’t like reading very much but this book kept me hooked.  I’d recommend  this book to young adults, it might be too mature for someone younger. I’ve wondered about what ever happened to Novalee and Forney. It’d be really cool if there were a sequel.