Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson | Teen Ink

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

By s.stone234 BRONZE, Whitmore Lake, Michigan
s.stone234 BRONZE, Whitmore Lake, Michigan

Speak, by Laurie Halse Anderson is a book about a girl named Melinda Sordino, a teenage girl just out of eighth grade. She and her friends go to a high school party on the last day of school where she meets Andy. They hang out at the party, and he seems nice. But Melinda soon realizes he is the exact opposite. In panic, Melinda calls the police and they break up the party. Now no one will talk to her, and she is alone and scared all summer. When school starts, Melinda has nobody. Her friends have all abandoned her and she spends her freshman year trying to find the courage to speak out about the horrible night at the party.

Anderson does a great job of making Melinda seem like a real teenager. Even though she’s quiet, her thoughts are very witty. Speak is written in first person point of view. I though this was a great choice because it really helps the reader get inside Melinda’s head and understand her. Overall, I though this book was great. It made me laugh, cry and smile. I would recommend it to any realistic fiction reader.