The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Boring. Dry. Infinitely long. Sadly, no, I am not describing the great natural wonder that is the Sahara desert. I am describing Paulo Coelho's lackluster novel, The Alchemist.

After a promising beginning, the book is full of contradictions and confusing references, leaving much to be desired. There are so many symbolic representations of alchemy that they become suffocating and one cannot go more than four or five pages without stumbling over one of Coelho's headache-inducing interpretations. The worst is when you reach the climax – or rather don't reach it, because it doesn't exist.

The book is as three-dimensional as a sheet of cardboard and about as entertaining to read. All of this takes what could have been an exciting adventure story about a hidden treasure and ruins it by making the reader think too hard rather than enjoy the book. Instead of stars this book rates a black hole, into which fiction-lovers can hope The Alchemist gets sucked.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Forgive me, but I read this review in the Teen Ink magazine and endeavored to defend the brilliant Paul Coelho and one of his most stunning literary works.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 25, 2011 at 5:08 pm :
I have never disagreed more with a book review, or found a criticism so utterly unfair! Why would you ever condemn a book for "making you think?" Adventure stories, while entertaining, will often lead you absolutely nowhere. Coelho takes his audience (if they're willing) on a spiritual and emotional journey beyond the confines of their previous mindset and into a realm of new ideas and a different level of existence. I'm afraid you're only condemning the novel because you're reading it on a one-... (more »)

Oct. 25, 2011 at 5:09 pm :
Again, forgive me for my impassioned response to your innocently delivered review. But The Alchemist and Veronika Decides to Die profoundly changed my life, so I felt entitled to give something back.

jkandrews This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 17, 2011 at 5:08 pm :
All I have to say on the matter is that it WAS published in the print version of Teen Ink, so somebody somewhere must have agreed with my review enough to print it.  I respect you opinion and I accept your apology. -jkandrews

daveyinaz replied...
Jan. 4, 2012 at 2:20 pm :
Just because something was published doesn't necessarily mean it's worth a grain of salt.

Hideing said...
Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:15 am:
I know i thought it was going to be good because everyone said so but nope it sucked

ImaginedangerousThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 3, 2011 at 4:57 pm:
It's supposed to be one of those spiritual-inspirational-...artistic...thingies. (Which is probably why you read it in English class). You're supposed to like it without actually understanding or being entertained by it. Books like that irritate the heck out of me- The Alchemist, Jonathan Livingston Seagull... Ugh.