Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom | Teen Ink

Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom

Life Lessons in Tuesdays with Morrie

Tuesdays with Morrie is a story about two friends who reconnect when one becomes fatally ill. It is written by a man named Mitch Albom. Morrie is a college professor who teaches physiology. Mitch took his course in college and they became really close but after college they lost touch. One day, Mitch saw on nightlife that Morrie was sick so Mitch goes out to see him. They both help each other in different ways, the only way that they know how to. Morrie helped Mitch more with his problems and his life. They both helped each other with many life problems and stories but Mitch benefited more from their meetings.

Mitch was going through a very hard time before he visits Morrie. His dream of becoming a famous musician failed and his favorite uncle died of pancreatic cancer. His employers are on strike at his work in Detroit so he is out of work and not making any money. He and his wife are also not on the same page. It’s a very hard time for him but Morrie helps Mitch get through it all with his advice. "Do the kinds of things that come from the heart. When you do, you won’t be dissatisfied, you won’t be envious, you won’t be longing for somebody else’s things. On the contrary, you’ll be overwhelmed with what comes back." Morrie says this to Mitch which is his way of telling him to follow his dream of being a famous musician. If he does then he will be happy with life because he won’t be envious of people whose dreams have come true.

Mitch also helps Morrie through his illness. He brings Morrie his favorite foods to eat even though chewing is like a chore for him. He sits with him and they read the paper and eat together while they talk about life, love, and compassion. "So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they're busy doing things they think are important. This is because they're chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning." That is one quote from Morrie that summarizes how he feels about life. Now is the time Morrie most needed Mitch and he is there for him. He helps him on and off of chairs and he’s there for him when he cries without giving judgment. This is exactly what Morrie needs at a time like this, he’s luck Mitch saw him on nightline.

Morrie helped Mitch reconnect with his relationships. "Love each other or perish." Morrie feels very strongly about love. He feels you need love to survive. He convinced Mitch to reconnect with his brother who needed him. They become really close after and Mitch realized who he was missing. Mitch also became closer with his wife. He thought about her feelings and what she wanted and figured out the right thing to do with the help of Morrie.

The day Morrie died was a terribly sad day, especially Mitch. He learned a lot during Morrie’s last days. It completely turned his life around. He sees the world totally different now. Because of Morrie, Mitch can finally be happy again. Neither of them would take back those final days, it made both their lives a whole lot better. Now Mitch gets to continue his life and he will always remember his good friend and old professor Morrie.