Night by Elie Wiesel | Teen Ink

Night by Elie Wiesel

January 4, 2011
By shaolinstyle BRONZE, Bedford, Indiana
shaolinstyle BRONZE, Bedford, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

In Night by Elie Wiesel, 14 year old Elie Wiesel is taken away from his home with the rest of his family to the concentration camp of Auschwitz. There, Elie has to endure hard labor, starvation, and physical abuse all while struggling to survive.
Elie Wiesel is a young Jew living in Sighet, Transylvania when the Germans invade his town. The Germans ship the Jews to the concentration camp of Auschwitz. Elie is separated from his mother and sister but still remains with his father after the camp selections. As Elie struggles to survive in the camp due to hunger and abuse from the guards, his faith is put into question. He doesn't understand how God could let such terrible things happen.
As the book goes on, Elie begins to think more for his own survival than for the survival of his own father. He starts to think of him more as dead wait. Later in the book, the inmates of Auschwitz are evacuated because of the approach of the Soviet Army. 60,000 inmates make a horrific death march to Gleiwitz where they board trains to Buchenwald. While in Buchenwald, Elie's father dies just months before liberation. Elie survives to be liberated but he will never actually be free from the horrors that happened in those camps.

This book has been a personal favorite of mine for years. This book contains tales of death, starvation, faith, and the will to survive. What I find so great about the book is that this is a true story, written by a man who witnessed these tragedies first hand. It must have been hard to write this book when there was so much pain and suffering involved with it. Night is a great book for readers who enjoy learning about the Holocaust and for readers who are interested in what really happened in those camps. This book is a reminder of what we as humans are capable of doing to one another.