The Rescue by Nicholas Sparks | Teen Ink

The Rescue by Nicholas Sparks

This heartfelt romance novel was written by the best-selling author Nicholas Sparks. The Rescue is definitely a page turner that will keep you guessing and will stay in your heart for a very long time. Readers who don’t mind shedding a tear and who love an extremely powerful story to keep in mind won’t be disappointed.

When a raging storm hits a small town named Edenton in North Carolina, Denise Holton and her 4 year old son find themselves swerving down a slick road on their way home. Denise is a fragile and caring single mother trying to give her son the best life possible on her own. Denise wakes up to her bruised and bloody body with her totaled car in a ditch. But Kyle, her speech delayed son is missing. Taylor McAden, a volunteer firefighter, finds Denise and calls for help. Kyle was missing for hours and hours and Taylor’s mom (Judy) was keeping Denise company while she lied helpless and worried in her hospital bed. Once Kyle was found, that seemed like the spark in Denise’s life, her whole world was about to change. Taylor and Denise find a sweet bond that is irresistible. Taylor is always finding a way to fix people and help them so they don’t suffer any pain like he did. But there’s one problem Taylor can’t seem to fix, he can’t fall in love. Taylor lost his father as a young boy and he never seemed to patch that gap in his heart, causing him to always have something to fix. And that’s where the title of the book & Taylor’s jobs tie in. Taylor McAden, always trying to be the hero, is a carpenter and a firefighter. And the title, The Rescue, he loves to rescue people. Taylor and Denise fall in love and there was nothing that Taylor could do but finally open his heart to Denise and her son. And that’s what he did, and that’s what made everything fall into place.

“You’re going to come across people in your life who say all the right things at all the right times. But in the end, it’s always their actions you should judge them by. It’s actions, not words that matter.” That quote really impacted me and that was something Denise learned from her mom.

“People come, people go – they’ll drift in and out of your life, almost like characters in a favorite book. When you finally close the cover, the characters have told their story and you start up again with another book, complete with new characters and adventures. Then you find yourself focusing on the new ones, not the ones from the past.” That was another quote that I’ll never forget just because it’s so true and it’s something I see already happening in my life.

“There was something inside her that longed to be desired, to be cared for and protected, to be listened to and accepted without judgment. To be loved.” This quote really made me smile and made me melt a little, it’s so gentle and kind.

This book was truly amazing, and it made so much sense to me. The author really made it clear about how fragile and important friendships and relationships are. I’ve always struggled with trust issues and about letting people into my life. By reading this book I feel like I have come such a long way with everything I do now. Reading Sparks’ emotional story has brought me a lot of happiness. I recommend this book to anyone and everyone, this compelling story is difficult to dislike.