Notes From the Midnight Driver by Jordan Sonneblick | Teen Ink

Notes From the Midnight Driver by Jordan Sonneblick

Five Reason's You'll Love Notes from the Midnight Driver

1. Jordan Sonneblick

Jordan Sonneblick writes with lovely boyish charm. He writes the way that you would expect a cute and pleasant sixteen year-old boy to write. He seems to understand the sarcasm and the way that today's teenagers talk, and he mimics that very well in his book. He also writes in a way that makes events relatable, and he can make you think that you understand exactly what the characters in the book are going through.

2. It’s Laugh-Out-Loud Funny

Notes from the Midnight Driver is one of the funniest books that I’ve ever read. The funniest thing about the book is the conversations between the characters; the way that they talk to each other is hysterical. The main's character's thoughts are also very entertaining. “...my little blurb wasn't going to win me any speaker-of-the-year awards, but at least I hadn't tripped and fallen off the stage, crushing and killing three elderly jazz fans.”

3. Storyline

What makes this book so lovable is the storyline. It's a hilarious story with unpredictable twists and turns along the way. The story begins with a boy named Alex whose parents are in the process of getting divorced after his dad cheated on his mom with his third grade teacher. Alex is home alone and decides to get drunk and drive over to his dad's house to confront him. But due to the fact that Alex is fifteen, this turns out not to be the greatest idea. Alex is arrested after he hits a yard gnome in his neighbor's front yard. He is sentenced to one-hundred community service hours at a local nursing home, where he is assigned to work with a grumpy old man named Solomon Lewis.

4. Laurie

“Alex Peter Gregory, you are a moron!” Laurie says this to Alex on his first day back to school after his car wreck. Laurie and Alex are best friends, but Alex is ready to get past the friends stage. Alex describes Laurie as a “gothic tinker-bell;” saying that she is small and fairy-like but a ninja at the same time. Laurie is a great addition to this book because everyone needs a friend like Laurie.

5. Solomon Lewis

Solomon Lewis is the resident at the nursing home that Alex is assigned to spend one-hundred community service hours with. He is an old, grumpy man who is suffering from emphysema. At first Alex wants to quit working at the nursing home so that he can get away from Solomon, but he pulls through and continues his work there. Solomon Lewis is another great and hilarious edition to the book. He also pulls the book through its twists and turns and helps “keep you on your toes.”

I love this book!