Catching Fire by Suzanne Colins

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins is the second book in the Hunger Games series. In this story Katniss and Peeta are in big trouble. Ever since they won the last Hunger games competition they’ve been trying to keep the districts from uprising. This is because when they tried to kill themselves in the Games the districts saw it as rebellion against the capitol. So they thought they should fight back against the capitol as well. So President Snow said either convince the districts that this was an act of love, not rebellion, or the consequences could be deadly. So as an extreme act to help, Peeta proposes to Katniss on a live interview.
So through out the book they are planning a wedding that neither of them really wants. But there are also some problems with Katniss’s friend Gale. He has been ignoring her ever since they got back from the arena. Not only Gale but Peeta is now upset with Katniss for her behavior when they returned from her tour. He felt that her and Haymitch have been working behind his back and not keeping him involved with their plans.
While all of this is going on, a new head peacekeeper is brought in that makes life almost unbearable in district twelve. There is more poverty, hunger and many more deaths. So as everyone is trying to get used to their new life the 3rd quarter quell is announced. This is the 75th anniversary of the Hunger games. Every 25 years an extra twist is added to the games. This year the twist was that the tributes going into the games were to be chosen from the previous victors. But still one boy and one girl tribute. Since Katniss was the only girl she knew she was going back into the arena. They then decided no mater if Haymitch or Peeta were chosen that Peeta would volunteer and go into the games.
So Katniss decides right there that her goal this time is to keep Peeta alive. She thought this would make things better for the district. So when they get into the arena they make unexpected allies and some obvious enemies. This book is filled with suspense, dramatic plot twists and a very surprising ending. So I highly recommend this book to anyone who liked the first Hunger Games book in the series.