So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld | Teen Ink

So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld

By arashilv BRONZE, Naperville, Illinois
arashilv BRONZE, Naperville, Illinois

Did you ever wonder who the first kid was to keep a wallet on a big chunky chain, or to wear too big pants on purpose? Or the first guy who wore his baseball cap backwards? All these people are innovators, and are at the top of the cool pyramid.

Seventeen year old Hunter Braque is a trend setter, the second level of the pyramid. His job as a trend setter is to find the newest, coolest thing for the retail market, to observe things and to not get involved with anything. But when Jen James, an innovator, comes around, Hunter can’t stop himself from getting involved big time.

When Hunter first meets Jen, he takes her to a meeting with his boss Mandy. Later, Hunter and Jen are told to go to downtown Chinatown to meet Mandy and were told that Mandy wanted to show them something. When they find Mandy’s phone in an old abandoned building, they discover that Mandy is missing which starts the adventure of a lifetime for Jen and Hunter.

While on their journey to find Mandy, Jen takes Hunter on a crazy roof top chase, a missing cargo of the coolest, most amazing shoes they’ve ever seen, ads for items and products that don’t exist, and a mysterious group dedicated to the downfall of consumerism as we know it.

This story was very suspenseful because you didn’t know what was going to happen next to Jen and Hunter on their search to find Mandy, while getting chased by people trying to stop them. The characterization in this book was very interesting as well, Jen and Hunter are completely different characters that have to come together and work together which makes the story even more interesting.

This book is definitely worth reading today, it makes you think about who really starts all of the trends that we follow today. I would give this book 9 out of 10 stars, and is probably one of the best books that I’ve read this year. This book is for anyone looking for a part love story, part mystery, part stinging satire, or something that will make you question everything you’ve ever believed about how to be cool.