Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick | Teen Ink

Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick

By Chelsie11 BRONZE, Camden On Gauley, West Virginia
Chelsie11 BRONZE, Camden On Gauley, West Virginia

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13

This book is about two boys that both have disabilities. They become friends and go on adventures together. Throughout the book their relationship gets stronger. This is one of the best books I have read in a long time.

In Freak the Mighty Maxwell and Kevin become the best of friends. Kevin is called Freak because of his size; his disease makes him have dwarfism. Maxwell is slow, but all he really need is some help from a friend. They go on mystical quests together, and all kinds of adventures. When school starts Maxwell is put out of the special education classes so that he can be with Kevin. Kevin does not only help Max, but Max helps Kevin. Kevin is tiny so Max put him on his shoulders and carries him around so he doesn’t get trampled on. They got the name Freak the Mighty when they were in class and Kevin was taking up for Max. He put Kevin on his shoulders and everyone was afraid, even the teacher.

This book is excellent and well written. It is a book for teens and also younger children starting about the sixth grade and older. If adults would read this book I think they would enjoy it too. I wish the book was longer, I was a little disappointed in the ending. I was not disappointed in the way it was written or how the end was written; I was upset about the length. If it was a little bit longer I am sure many would be appreciative of it. I would have loved to just sit down and read the whole book after I really got into it. The beginning wasn’t the best, but after awhile I really just loved reading the book. The book has action, comedy, and most importantly friendship.

I would recommend this book to anyone that likes to read, and if you don’t, this book might just change your mind. There are many different things about this book that I liked. I wouldn’t want to ruin it for the viewers of this that would like to read the book. At the end of this book, I have a feeling you will feel like you know Kevin and Maxwell as if you was there with them through it all.

This book is excellent and I recommend it to viewers of certain age. The book had its good parts and its bad, but for the most part it was great. You’ll never know what is really going to happen next in the book. Some things may just take your breath away. So everyone take some time out of your evening and read the book. It’s not a time waster; at least it wasn’t to me.