Vampire Academy | Teen Ink

Vampire Academy

The author of Vampire Academy is Richelle Mead. She has written the entire Vampire Academy series, consisting of six books. She hasn’t won any awards yet for her inspiring and addicting book series. Her typical style of writing is drama, suspense, and humorous. This book is a fiction, romance for teens and adults. The work of this book is too get the reader inside the book and keep them entertained while reading. The title of the book fits in when you learn that the academy in the book is for vampires, of a sort. It adequately encapsulates the message of the text. It’s very interesting to read the title and then come to figure that it’s about an academy for teenage vampires. The story takes place in St. Vladimir Academy, a school for vampire royalty and their guardians-to-be, hidden in the deep forests of Montana. This is an imaginary place that the story takes place. The main characters in the story and Rose Hathaway, a guardian-to-be with a short temper, and Lissa Dragomir, a Moroi princess.

At the very beginning, we find two teenage girls hiding from the evil breed of vampire called Strigoi. Rose is a dhampir, half human and half vampire, who has a psychic bond with her best friend Lissa. Lissa is a Moroi vampire princess who needs to be protected from the Strigoi. Lissa is the last on in her family bloodline, because her parents and her brother were killed in a car accident. But within the accident, Rose was in the car with them. Rose had died in the crash, but Lissa had then awakened her spirit element within her soul and brought Rose back to life. One night, while in their college dorm room, Rose notices a tall, dark figure outside the window. She and Lissa try to make a break for it, but they are caught and surrounded by the school’s guardians. They are sent back to the academy to continue their studies in a safe environment. Rose is trying to achieve her guardian training and become Lissa’s guardian when she graduates. Seeing as Rose and Lissa had run away, they have to make up for lost time. After being away for two years, Rose has to work the hardest to catch up. She has to have before and after school practices with Dimitri Belikov. They develop a bond of love, but it can never be. Near the ending of the book, something happens between Rose and Dimitri that’ll make you breathless and want to read the rest of the books. The quotes that stand out are the ones that describe the characters personalities, looks, and actions. A quote such as “I felt her fear before I heard the screams” describes the psychic bond that the two friends have. "When did we last do a feeding? It's been like . . . over two days, hasn't it? Three? Why didn't you say anything?" The next two quotes were from Rose. This is when she tries to get Lissa to feed off of her. The big idea that I saw within this book was that Rose wants to protect Lissa as much as possible. The setting is in the early fall and goes to early winter at the school. The conflicts in this book are that Lissa needs to be protected; Rose needs to succeed in becoming a guardian; and that Rose needs to try and get over her mentor, Dimitri. The emotion used in the book changes from chapter to chapter. It’ll star out happy, the shift to depressed in a matter of words or sentences.
I think that the author was trying to achieve to get the reader to get into the book. To have the audience understand and absorb what’s happening and what the characters are feeling. I was able to understand and relate what happened within the story. The larger idea was to explain love, loss and sacrifice in a person’s life. It happens by the author explains what the characters are going through in the book. I feel that the writing style, setting, and mood made the story better. If it had very poor descriptions of where it took place or a character’s thoughts, then it’s not really a good book. It’s just trash. I think that readers and other authors could learn something by reading this book. I really experience different emotions while reading this book. It really just hit me hard. I would recommend this book to any teenage girl looking for a break from the Twilight sage, and on a scale from 1 to 10; it breaks the scale completely.

Madds213 said...
on Dec. 17 2010 at 4:18 pm
Madds213, Valpariso, Indiana
Yes, she is. I'm on the 5th book right now and waiting to read the 6th.

on Dec. 15 2010 at 9:44 pm
Jelly101 BRONZE, Middelmount, Other
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
I love Vampire Academy they have to be my favourite books, and Richelle is a very good writer