Marked by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast | Teen Ink

Marked by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast

By xtremedancer9 BRONZE, Aurora, Illinois
xtremedancer9 BRONZE, Aurora, Illinois

Marked

The first book in the House of Night series Marked by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast was a truly exciting read. I would recommend it for middle school and up because it has a little adult content. It’s about this 16 year old girl named Zoey Redbird who gets marked. That means that you either choose to go to school at the mysterious private school called The House of Night and train to become a vampire or your body rejects the change and you die. So after thinking about it long and hard Zoey chooses to go to The House of Night having to leave her on and off boyfriend Heath, her best friend Kayla, her mom, and stepfather whom she hates. Zoey learns that she is not an average fledgling. A fledgling is what they call the students training to become vampires. Zoey finds out that she was marked by the goddess Nyx. The goddess Nyx is whom the vampire world worships and prays to. Since she was marked by Nyx, Zoey is given special powers that only she has. Zoey has to face many challenges throughout the book dealing with people who don’t seem what they look and act like, the popular group at the house of night giving her trouble, and trying to adapt to her new life.
In this novel my favorite character is Zoey Redbird. She has a spark of ambition that keeps you wanting to read more. Even after everyone telling her that she is a liar and that she’s crazy, Zoey believes in herself and turns out to be one of the most powerful fledglings ever at The House of Night. She also has great leadership skills that help her throughout the book in fixing numerous problems that are thrown at her. She gives the reader a connection because she is an underdog at her school that has to deal with bullies and countless teenage problems.

The author does a great way of adding suspense to the novel. It keeps you on the edge of your seat wanting to read more. She describes the characters and settings so well that you can picture them perfectly in your head. She has a way of making the reader think that one thing is going to happen but something completely different happens. She also has a way of adding characterizations that every teenager can relate to.

I thought that the book Marked by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast was a phenomenal, keep you on the edge of your seat, book that I would recommend to all of my friends. With a suspenseful ending that will make you want to read the next book in the series called Betrayed. The author gives the book a modern touch by having her daughter add teenage touches to the book that I can relate to. I would rate this book 5 stars because of the descriptive words the author uses to paint a picture in the readers head and the way that I can relate to the book. The author never fails to keep you from wanting to read more.

my reading teacher mrs.pierson inspired me to write a review on this book.