The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson | Teen Ink

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson

December 5, 2010
By jalsaied SILVER, Fort Irwin, California
jalsaied SILVER, Fort Irwin, California
6 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
- Abraham Lincoln


Fellow readers, have you been reading the latest wave of literature? If not, take this opportunity to indulge yourselves with new, creative plots and mysteriously captivating characters. “The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest” by Stieg Larsson is a thrilling three- part series about several characters battle for unleashing the truth. Known as “The Air Castle That Was Blown Up” in Sweden, this book entails the journeys of Lisbeth Salander, Mikael Blomkvist, and Erika Berger. Though the latter two characters are slightly predictable and mainstream for this age’s writing, they equivocally tie into Salander’s unorthodox ways to liven up such a dramatic story.

Lisbeth Salander is probably one of Sweden’s best hackers. She could tell you what you were doing two weeks ago at 4:26:56 PM. Her photographic memory scars her as she remembers her lacking childhood, plagued with a stay at St. Stefan’s. You see, in 1991, Lisbeth attempted to kill her father with a Molotov cocktail. Why you presume? Her father, Alexander Zalachenko, runs one of the most crooked industries in Sweden. If it involves drugs, weapons handling, or prostitution, count “Zala” as an important figure. An ex-spy from the Soviet Era, he fled to Sweden claiming asylum. Since Zalachenko knew too much about the post- war dilemma and had breached top- security files, the Swedish CIA, or S?po, had to keep him alive and quiet. Not only was he a crook, he was a player. Zalachenko met Salander’s mother and had two twin daughters with her. Not planning on becoming a father, he beat Salander’s mother ruthlessly until she was institutionalized for life. Salander’s revenge was to kill the man who began her life- and who was trying to end.

Here steps in her past friendship with Kalle Blomkvist. He is currently working at Millennium, a well-off magazine known for exposing some of the shadiest scandals. In cooperation with Dag Svensson, they both work relentlessly to uncover the prostitution business that has illegally taken way under Sweden’s nose. In the process, Dag is brutally and unexpectedly killed. Now, Blomkvist and Salander must meet yet again to find out who killed Dag and his wife, and why.
Read this epic novel to find out how this tale unravels itself. Trust me- this is not a book to be put down.