Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes | Teen Ink

Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes

By silentc0re BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida
silentc0re BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida

Introduction:
As a young boy Johnny's parents both died of illness. Before his mother died she ventured to any silversmith who would take Johnny as an apprentice after she died. Mr. Lapham and Mrs. Lapham,his daughter in law, took him in. Johnny had many friends, equally he had many enemies, and on Sabbath day while trying to finish a sugar basin Dove,another apprentice of the Lapham's,made Johnny have an “accident”. This accident crippled Johnny's right hand ending his dream of being a silversmith...and starting his adventure.

Description and summary of main points:
As Mr. Lapham's prized apprentice thought highly of himself. Although he had many friends, he also had many enemies. Dove,another apprentice, was one of them. As Johnny was secretly working on Sabbath day, Dove made Johnny have an “accident” crippling his right hand and ending his dream of becoming a silversmith.

Another important main point in this was when Johnny and Cilla,one of Mrs. Lapham's daughters, took a trip down to the docks in the middle of the night. As they sat down talking Cilla questioned about Johnny's middle name, mentioned earlier in the day. Johnny then told her that his name was Johnathan Lyte Tremain,kin of Mr. Lyte, which in turn causes him a lot of trouble and helps him make new discoveries.

After the “accident” and having to go out into Boston and looking for work, Johnny meets Rab ,a boy two years older than him working for his uncle at The Boston Observer. As the novel progresses Rab and Johnny become friends and end up becoming a huge part in the fight against the British.

Evaluation:
I would give this novel a 4.5 because it gives you a good look at not only the Revolutionary War, but a great prospective of the lives of many people during that time and many famous figures. I would slightly recommend this for people who are good readers and have some background of this time period. Overall it was a great novel.

This book was such a great inspiration to me. I used to be bored of history and somewhat despised it, but after being assigned this book and reading it I now fully understand the Revolutionary War and i have now taken a liking to history.

Toni said...
Is this book (johnny tremain) fiction or non fiction. Can someone please tell me. Thanks