Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman | Teen Ink

Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman

November 24, 2010
By LiterateShizzle BRONZE, St. Albans, Other
LiterateShizzle BRONZE, St. Albans, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

An amazing beginning to the trilogy of Noughts and Crosses, highlighting the racial and social issues in society. The segregation is presented oppositely, where the light-skinned Noughts are treated as dirt and the dark-skinned Crosses are treated as pure royalty.
Callum, a young Nought boy living in a low class part of society battles day by day to stay strong...
Spehy, a Cross and daughter of one of the wealthiest men in the country...
They both fight to be together, but as each day goes by, it gets harder and harder as the early stages of the storm make an expected appearance.

This novel expresses the different racial and social issues we have in present day. However, she presents the segregation in an opposite manner; where the dark-skinned are above the light-skinned. I thought this gives extra effect to the plot of the novel as it shows an opinion from a different side.
Usually, this genre is presented in the standard way but Blackman makes a change and, I think, it makes the novel far more interesting to read.
Noughts and Crosses is a real page turner and I highly recommend you read it.