Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Margaret Mitchell's classic tale of love in hard times is much more than just a romance. Scarlett O'Hara, a 16-year-old Southern belle, is quite the whippersnapper. Set during the Civil War, the novel follows her through war, destruction, and unrequited love. Mitchell gives readers such an intimate view of Scarlett's mind that though you may not like her, you respect her and want her to triumph.

The novel begins with Scarlett in carefree Southern society as the most desired gal in the county. But when Ashley Wilkes, the man she loves, ­announces that he is going to marry someone else, Scarlett's world starts to fall apart. Hastily marrying in order to make Ashley jealous, she sets off a series of events that lead her further into despair. One day, as she is scavenging for food in another's garden, she decides that “there [is] no going back, and she [is] going forward.” From that day on there is a cold hardness in her heart. She is willing to do anything to get what she wants. Through the changes in society and her soul, Scarlett moves forward.

Gone with the Wind is 959 pages of perseverance and fortitude. Not once does Scarlett back down; not once does she lose a fight, well, except to Rhett Butler. Their relationship is one that has lasted decades in the hearts and minds of people around the world. I believe that this is the best tale of love since Orpheus and Eurydice. The dance Mitchell wrote for them is enticing and heartbreaking at the same time.

Mitchell describes what is happening so well that the story stays with you even when you put the book down. As I was reading, I began thinking in her writing style. This novel is fantastic, showing all the ups and downs, all the miscommunications, all the desperation of love.

I didn't think I would like Gone with the Wind because it was centered around the Civil War, but I soon realized that it isn't about war, but rather the effects of it. Mitchell writes in such a way that even though I was raised to believe in the Union side, the Confederacy is clearly the victim here. She made me feel sympathy where I never thought I could. It is her powerful writing that makes this story fantastic, so kudos to Mitchell.

If you are looking for a story that will stay with you for years to come, pick this up. Gone with the Wind is an everlasting love story, and an inspiring tale of perseverance.

saranova_92 said...
Feb. 27, 2012 at 3:44 pm:
Great review & summary! After watching the movie I knew I had to read the book, as long as it was. And it helps that anything written about the Civil war I find fascinating. . . while Scarlett is certainly not admirable, we can learn so much from her!

Emiline! ^-^ said...
Feb. 17, 2011 at 9:56 pm:
We're reading this right now, for school. I know it's a classic, but I don't like any of the characters. :\ However, it is rather well-written, even though it's boring right now. I hope it gets better, because I can tell it has potential to get really good later. :)