The Book That Stole My Heart | Teen Ink

The Book That Stole My Heart

By sarahnicole2011 BRONZE, Lawrenceburg, Indiana
sarahnicole2011 BRONZE, Lawrenceburg, Indiana

“I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination.” -Walt Disney

The Book Thief is taking place in middle of Nazi Germany in 1939. It's not just another Holocaust book because of the view the story is coming from. The author Markus Zusak tells the story from Death view's. Death comes in contact with a nine year old girl named Liesel Meminger, as much as Death tries to stay away from her, he will forever to be changed by her story. Death first comes near Liesel when he came to pick when he came to pick up her little brother's soul. As tragic as it is, this is where the real story starts. At her little brother's funeral, Liesel stole The Grave Digger's Handbook. Although she did not know how to read yet, you can just feel from Zusak's words that this silly little book is the only thing that this girl cares about, and her curiosity becomes your curiosity. It was her first book stolen, but certainly not her last.

One Liesel is abandoned by her mother, she becomes foster by Hans and Rosa Hubermann. As rough as a past she has had, her relationship with her accordion-playing step-father Hans shows her that even though life can provide hard times, it is goes on. He also taught her to read The Grave Digger's Handbook and becomes the father she never had. Hans gives her the tools and starts the addiction of stealing books. Himmel Street wasn't heaven, but it was her home. Liesel befriends a blonde curly hair boy named Rudy; who later becomes her stealing partner.

When the Hubermann hide a Jew named Max in their basement, Liesel world is turned upside down. These were dangerous times, and if anyone found out that there was a Jew in their basement, only the worst punishment would be served to the Hubermanns'. Yet with everything bad that happens, good comes from it. Max and Liesel bond over words and books. Their friendship and love shows you the other side of Germany; the people that were not for Hitler (in fact, they were caged in by their fear of him, that turns into hatred).

From Liesel's words “I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.” She realizes, even in being in the center of Hitler's propaganda, that words are powerful. They can either breed violence or comfort; love or hate. Liesel tries to make them right, without any prejudice or her country's leader propaganda. It's a strong sentence from a little girl.

My favorite part of the book was Death's personally. At first, I thought with a character like Death, his view would be mean, scary, and supercilious. I was wrong. Instead of the Grim-Reaper image that has been in all of our minds, Death is a charcter that cares and takes the mental impact of carrying the deceased souls. He focuses on colors, such as the sky, trying to block out the repulsive battle scenes of WWII. Death states “That's the sort of thing I'll never or comprehend- what humans are capable of.” I believe that when Death says that, he means that from both sides of humans, from strength to evil. As much as great things humans are capable of, we are guilty just as much as much as the evil things. He appalled by the torture that humansinflict on themselves. Death tries to find meaning for his work, and with the a story of a little girl, he finds. Retelling this stor, Death says “...to prove to myself that you, and your human existence, are worth it.”

Death's last sentence is my favorite from the book, “I am haunted by humans.” Death is unable to fully understand the capabilities of humans; not understand how there can be so evil, yet so unremarkable compassion also. Towards the end of the novel, Death is not so judgmental of the human race and of their haumanity. Death tells Liesel that he is haunted by humans, as humans believe they are haunted by Death. He doesn't cause people to die, he exist to help them transfer over to the afterlife.

I absolutely loved this book. I first checked it out the library, but once I finished it, I knew I had to have it in my life forever. I bough a copy of the book, and it is always close by me. This is a story about love, friendship death, and courage. It is one of those books you must read befor you die.

The way author Markus Zusak writes helped improve the way I write.

manderz101 said...
on Aug. 26 2012 at 11:11 am
Awesome! Please help me! what page is the quote " to prove to myself that you and your human existence are worth it"? PLEASE HELP!! MUCH THANKS!!